Traditional savoury Turkish flatbread's, made of hand-rolled leaves of yufka dough and lightly brushed with butter and eggs; Gozleme's are deliciously flaky parcels filled with various ingredients. They're one of my Turkish favourites.
#Gozleme (pronounced Goz-leh-may) in the making video, Part 2. Just look at how amazingly thin the flatbread is and yet it's strong enough to hold the fillings inside without tearing, simply amazing! This is then brushed with oil and cooked on a hot flat plate (similar to a tawa). I reckon a broom handle will be long enough for me to practise making this! 😉😂😂 ____ #afeliaskitchen #onholiday #july2016 #turkey #marmaris #bluebayplatinum #Turkish #food #inthemaking #tasty #nomnom #instafood #foodfork #eeeeats #foodgawker #buzzfeast #yahoofood #tastespotting #yummly #goodfood
- 3 cups plain flour
- 8gm instant dried yeast
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt (preferably full-fat)
- 260ml warm water (150ml warm water to mix with the yeast)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1-2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 500gm beef mince
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 230gm feta cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp oil
Spinach and Feta Filling
200gm baby spinach leaves
- Combine 150ml warm water, yeast and salt in a jug. Stir with a fork. Cover and place in a warm, sunny place for 5-10 minutes or until bubbles form on the surface.
- Sift flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour in the yeast mixture, olive oil, yogurt and the remaining warm water. Using your hand, draw in the flour from the sides and work the mixture into a ball. Knead thoroughly to form soft dough. Divide the dough into 5 pieces, forming balls. Place the dough balls on a floured surface and cover them with a damp cloth. Leave to rest for 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Beef Filling
- Heat the oil in large frying pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes or until tender and aromatic. Add cumin, paprika and chilli, cooking for a further minute. Add the mince, frying until grainy. Removing from the heat, transfer mixture to a bowl and stir through lemon juice. Cool for 10 minutes. Spinach and Feta Filling
- Sauté onion in the same frying pan. Add spinach and chilli flakes, seasoning with salt and pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool for 10 minutes. Assembling
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough balls with a very thin rolling-pin to form thin rectangles. Ensure you sprinkle flour as you roll out the dough to prevent sticking.
- Place ¼ of filling on a rectangle. Fold in the left and right sides, meeting in the middle. Then fold the top and bottom edges over the filling, making sure all the filling is safely covered (just like a parcel). Press edges together with a fork to seal.
- Heat a griddle or a non-stick pan and brush one side of the gozleme with olive oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden and crisp. Brush uncooked side with olive oil. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Plating cut gozleme’s into quarters, serving with lemon wedges or Greek yogurt (and maybe extra chilli).
Note: Get creative and invent your own filling.