It’s a little tricky to find Hammer & Tong 412. Down a lane way, there’s just a small sign directing diners to the trending café.
Impressed with the striking fit-out; large windows bathe the space in light and the galley-style kitchen connects cooks with patrons—giving them glimpses of most photographed dish.
Hanging plants and display crockery add colour.
Owner Dennis Ferreira has worked at Di Stasio, Caffe e Cecina, il Bacar, France Soir, Momo and Jacques Reymond. But it wasn’t until he worked at Vue de Monde that he met chef Simon Ward.
Stealing a few touches from their fine dining past, the boys make Hammer & Tong 412 a point of difference.
- Ox cheek Benedict, poached eggs, hollandaise, fermented and pickled chilli on sourdough for $18.5
- Breakfast ramen, 62c hens egg, bacon, mushrooms, spring onion with bacon dash for $19.5
- Omelette of spring Meredith goats cheese, asparagus, peas, radish and shoots, broth with sourdough for $18
Who is there?
I saw a man taking snaps of the food and his fellow diners using his selfie stick and cannon camera… Obviously Hammer & Tong 412 is the place to be.
Should I bother?
I never expected the waitress to pour pea juice over my pea-infused omelette out of a minuscule beaker… But hey she did. Would I return? Yes.
- Rear 412 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy
- 9041 6033
- Cuisine: Trending contemporary/café
- Prices: $16-$28
- Opening Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 7am to late