Gingernut and Caramel Sandwiches
Paired with a hot beverage my Gingernut and Caramel Sandwiches have the perfect amount spice to warm you up on a chilly afternoon.
Not only do I incorporate ground ginger but I top my sandwiches with gems of sugar-dusted crystallised ginger. This gives them a real zesty flavour.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 1½ cup plain flour, sifted
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 cup store-bought thick caramel, or spread of choice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line large baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Beat butter, vanilla, sugar and golden syrup with an electric mixer for 8–10 minutes or until pale and fluffy. Add egg, beating for 2–3 minutes or until pale and fluffy.
- Add flour, ginger, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda, mixing until a smooth dough forms. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and firm.
- Roll spoonfuls of dough and coat in white sugar–recipe makes about 28 balls. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread tbsp of caramel on half the biscuits and sandwich to the other half. Note: I make the gingernut biscuits a day ahead and sandwich with the caramel just before serving.